Monday 2 January 2012

Sestina

Classic poetic form with strict mathematical algorithm [1]

The farm boy might have said ‘I wish you dead!
Just share your wealth with me and let me go…’
His father, sad, observed his course. Soon the lad
Was drinking, rashly gambling with the cash
False friends flocked keenly grasping and consumed
Such grand, top-classy and exclusive food.

In hotel bars and restaurants, fine food
Enjoyed, but soon all GDP was dead!
And everyone found nought to be consumed.
His friends all rapidly decide to go;
Thus he was left bereft of any cash.
Or company or hope, this hard-up lad.

Work tending pigs was low – he was not glad
To watch them chow down on such awful food –
Their rotting pods… but how else to earn cash?
His thoughts turned to his pa, no more wished dead
I’ll humbly seek work there, so now I’ll go
Dad’s hired men lunch famously consumed…

His mem’ry soon with family consumed
My actions have been wasteful, mulled the lad
So time has come for me to up and go
Where I’ll find love, I hope, as well as food –
Deserve rejection? Yes! But here I’m dead
Forsaking heritage for meagre cash.

This journey – long – used up residual cash:
Both sandals wore to nothing (trudge-consumed).
His coat was also torn and hopes near dead.
While still a long way off… Dad saw the lad
And rushed to greet him, ordering roast food
Plus ring and coat and shoes. Complaints forego!

His servants ran (he ordered them to go
To fetch). Now fat-calf’s throat gets knifely gash
And tables laden bounteously with food.
The villagers throng in; all is consumed
While father shows his joy to see the lad
‘This is my son – the one we thought was dead!’

‘He set by his ego; let’s consume!
And though he spends my cash, I greet my lad
Back from the dead! Oh neighbours, eat this food!’

[1] End-words repeat: ABCDEF, FAEBDC, CFDABE, ECBFAD, 
DEACFB, BDFECA, with an envoi of half-lines BE/DC/FA

No comments:

Post a Comment