Thursday 12 May 2011

The encoded parable

from the 3rd Gospel, chapter 15, verses 11 to 24
– find the hidden message (includes title, obviously)

There was a man who had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, 'I need some money fast. Can you please tell me how much I will inherit when you die? And then give me whatever share of property that is coming to me.'

And a while later, story-tellers tell us, the father gave him his inheritance, and the boy left home.

With a spring in his step, he took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. He gave no attention to wisdom, or indeed anything said to be spiritual; life lacked purpose, so he thought, except ‘enjoy it to the uttermost!’

Various clingers-on and passers-by helped him spend his fortune, until one day his financial means ran out. Destitute, he looked for a job, but the whole land was suffering from a famine.

Employed by a farmer rearing lots of pigs, when an inspiration struck him. ‘No, I mustn’t eat their slop,’ he said. ‘There is no earthly reason why I can’t go and work for my father.’

Setting his face to this, he planned to tell his father that he was no longer worthy to be called a son, but would work the fields, out in the sun, as one of the hired hands.

While he was still at an extreme distance, his loving father saw him, and shouted ‘Huzzah!’, interpretation of which was clear to all his servants, as the father had been watching for the boy for weeks.

Running in a way that very rapidly makes progress, he showed his compassion – greeted with a tenderness the boy didn’t have to sense or guess.

He gave him a ring, and told servants: ‘When you fetch my coat, bring some sandals for his feet, too!’ He had the fatted calf slaughtered, and very soon the streets were lined with partygoers.

‘Up on your feet – dance!’ the father commanded, smiling. ‘We feared my boy was down with the lost, but he’s found! Was dead but is alive! Scripture says Bless the Lord, O my soul, and I shall! We are going to party into the night. And I really do mean properly!’

No comments:

Post a Comment