Wednesday 11 May 2011

Movie script (part two of two)

continues/

Clocksweep cut to finish post as horses rush past

TANNOY (v/o)
So that's Unforgiving Servant, the short-odds favourite by a good couple of lengths, followed by Buried Treasure, Valuable Pearl and then comes New Wine and Sandy Foundation, followed at some distance by Coin Hunter, and bringing up the rear Hornthicket. Just one faller, at the second: Farmer's Boy.
CHARLIE (tears up betting slip and throws pieces into the breeze as WAITER 2 serves DELORES) That's a nuisance; still, plenty more where that came from!
WAITER 2
Your caviar, madam.

CHARLIE opens wallet and checks cash; concerned look, as he realizes there isn't that much.

Fade to black. Fade up to COWSHED INT., DAYTIME.
Superimpose caption: ANOTHER MONTH LATER.
CALF (noticably fatter) munches at his feed

Dissolve to PIG TROUGH EXT., DAYTIME.
PIGS chow down on smaller number of vegetables

Dissolve to FARMHOUSE EXT. DAYTIME.
Push in on window, where FATHER sits, staring down the lane

Cut to c/u on CHARLIE's hands, wallet empty

DELORES
(off) Problem?
CHARLIE
(off) H'mm

Cut to NEWSAGENTS SHOP EXT., DAYTIME as before. 
SHOP-OWNER is fitting a newspaper's promotional sheet behind the grill. He steps away, revealing: CROPS FAIL - MAJOR FOOD SHORTAGE PREDICTED

Dissolve to PIG TROUGH EXT., DAYTIME
Superimpose cation: ANOTHER THREE WEEKS LATER
Pull back to reveal CHARLIE wearing ragged suit, sitting by trough, watching pigs. Their vegetables are brown and few in number; there are no slops

Cut to c/u on CHARLIE; licks lips, staring at trough. Wipes mouth with back of hand; continues to stare (hold shot for ten seconds or more). Push in slowly on CHARLIE's eyes until they fill frame. He stares throughout; then looks up; his face is now additionally illumined.

CHARLIE (v/o)
I think I just came to my senses; there's no need for me to eat this stinking stuff that isn't fit for the pigs, even.

Dissolve to CITY STREET, EXT., DAYTIME.
CHARLIE strides right to left past gentlemen's outfitters and newsagents. Grill reads FAMINE CONTINUES; THOUSANDS DIE

CHARLIE (v/o) continues
No, I will arise and go to my FATHER and humble myself and ask him...

Dissolve to SUBURB ROAD EXT., DAYTIME.
CHARLIE strides right to left through frame; passes beggars in doorways. Track as he walks to exits frame left

CHARLIE (v/o) continues
... to make me one of his hired hands. He may not take me in; but at least I could ask...

Dissolve to COUNTRY LANE EXT., DAYTIME.
CHARLIE strides into frame from right, pan briefly, CHARLIE leave frames on left

Cut to FARMHOUSE EXT., DAYTIME.
FATHER still sits at the window

Cut to c/u on FATHER's eyes. They suddenly widen in disbelief, and he stands up

FATHER (to SERVANT)
Come with me...

Dolly back to reveal FATHER striding, then running down the country lane

Cut to long shot, over CHARLIE's shoulder as FATHER runs towards him

FATHER (shouting) You came back! You came back! My son!
(They meet)
CHARLIE (falls to his knees) I am no longer...

FATHER
How are you? Oh. I've missed you! (pulls CHARLIE to his feet, embraces, kisses him)
(SERVANT arrives, panting for breath)
FATHER (to SERVANT) Fetch me a coat, and a pair of my best shoes - look, he hasn't got any shoes on! Oh, and get my signet ring as well, and then get the barbecue fired up - we are going to have a celebration!
CHARLIE
But I am no longer worthy to...
FATHER
Oh, what a party we are going to have! I thought I'd lost you. I thought you were dead! I love you son!

Clocksweep to COWSHED INT., DAYTIME.
SERVANT approaches calf, holding a knife

Cut to FARMHOUSE EXT. DAYTIME. A party is in full swing. People are drinking, eating, dancing, singing. A band plays music and smoke rises from the barbeque. In the foreground, the fatted CALF is roasting on a spit. FATHER stands with crowd; CHARLIE sits on a chair, dressed in check shirt and dungarees; new hat

Cut to c/u on CHARLIE, eating thinly sliced rare roast beef

CHARLIE (mouth full, gravy dribble)
That's my favourite!
FATHER
Rejoice everyone! My son is no longer lost; he's been found! We thought he was dead, but it turns out he is alive! Rejoice! Eat! Dance! Be merry!

Long fade to black
Superimpose caption: THE END
Roll CREDITS

No comments:

Post a Comment