Tuesday 27 December 2011

Ballad


This down-to-earth, honest-to-goodness poetic form is genuinely classical, but quickly starts to sound as though Frank Spencer is reciting it

Johnny takes a lot of cash
And spends it with such speed;
Then famine strikes and everyone
Is desp’rately in need.
He takes a job, a-tending pigs
He longs to eat their pods;
A revelation fills his mind
(The voice he hears is God’s).

I’ll go back home and humbly seek
To join them in employ.
(My father’s men eat well each day
Although mere hoi polloi)
My worthiness to be a son
I know I’ve dissipated,
He’s bound to be most furious –
Reprisals will be stated.

But while he’s still a long way off
His pa – ignoring scandals –
Full gallop! Gives him coat and ring
And kisses and new sandals.
‘Take blades and slit young bovine’s throat
Spit-roast him round and round;
For this my son – we once thought dead
And lost - look, now he’s found!’

No comments:

Post a Comment