Thursday 23 June 2011

Lipogram

the traditional form, as showcased in Georges Perec’s novel A Void; avoiding the letter ‘e’

Young son says to dad ‘Work out what loot you would pass on, and put it in my hands!’

Financially flush, boy runs off to a far away land. Wild living follows, and soon all funds prodigally lost.

An harsh national lack of food attacks, so boy finds job giving slops to pigs. Son longs to fill his stomach with pig-pods, and has a blinding flash of inspiration. ‘I shall go to my dad and say: I’ll work on your farm as a labouring man, not a son.’

But on his way back, his dad spots him from a long way off, and runs to him, kissing him, hugging him, giving him a ring, a coat, and sandals.

A calf is slain in his honour and put on a spit; and a party is thrown. Dad says ‘My son was shuffling off this mortal coil, but now this boy is living! I’m praising God!’

No comments:

Post a Comment