Thursday 30 June 2011

Operatic libretto


(Overture)

Act One
Scene One: A Farm
(Enter Paterno & Prodigio)
(Recitative)
Prodigio        Oh Father, Oh Father, thee I emplore
                       Gist, yea, gist, oh gist to me the cash!
Paterno         (aside) Oh no, not the cash.
Prodigio        Oh yes, oh yes, the cash.
Paterno         Oh no, not the cash!
Prodigio        Yea, the cash!
Paterno         I relent, dear boy, here’s the cash.
Prodigio        What, the cash?
Paterno         Yes, here’s the ca-a-a-a-a-a—a-a-a-a-a-a-ash!      (gives him the moneybag)
Prodigio        What, all the cash?
Paterno         All the cash that’s yours! (exits)
Prodigio        All this cash is mine! I’m off! (exits)

Scene Two : A Taverna
(Enter Prodigio & Prostituo, with chorus)
Prodigio        I’m spending as fast…
Prostituo      …as fast as you can!
Prodigio        I’m spending as fast…
Prostituo      …as fast as you can!
Chorus           Spend, spend, spend, spend (tinkle, tinkle)
                        Spend, spend, spend, spend (rustle, rustle)
                        Spend, spend, spend, spend (jingle, jangle)
                        Spend, spend, spend, spend (ker-ching)
Prodigio        Oh yes, I’m spending as fast…
Prostituo      …as fast as you can! (They embrace)
Prodigio        But now it is gone. (They spring apart)
Chorus           Gone, gone, gone, gone
                        Spent, spent, spent, spent,
                        Emp-ty pock-ets, right out of cash!
Prostituo       And so, I shall depart me,
                        I shall depart me hence as fast as I can. (exits)
Prodigio        (aria) I thirst, and hunger,
                        And all the world, all the world with me,
                        I thirst and hunger, thirst and hunger,
                        Thirst, I thirst, yea I thi-i-i-i-irst
                        And hunger, thirst and – oh – hunger,
                        I thirst and hunger, yea, I thirst
                        And thirst and hunger and hunger
                        And hunger and thirst;
                        Yea I thirst and hunger and
                        None of the people of the world are here, yet
                        All of the people of the world
                        Thirst and hunger also, yea,
                        They thirst and hunger also. (repeat)

(Intermezzo)

Act Two
Scene One:   Another Farm
(Enter Prodigio, Porcia & Porcio, two pigs)
Pigs                We eat!
Prodigio        I hunger! Where shall I find food ?
Pigs                 We eat!
Prodigio        I hunger greatly! (rumbling, off)
Pigs                 We eat!
Prodigio        I hunger; I get me hence;
                       this scene doth stick like an barbéd gimlet 
                       in mine craw (exits)

Scene Two:   A Farm (as before)
(Enter Paterno & Prodigio)
(Duet)
Paterno        My son!
Prodigio       My employer?
Paterno        My son!
Prodigio       I emplore thee, my employer?
Paterno        My son!
Prodigio       My father! (they embrace)
Paterno       Here’s a ring, a ring, a ring-a-ding,
                      a ring-a-ding-a-ding a-dingio!
                      Here’s a coat for your fine, broad shoulders
                      And shoes for your wandering feet and
                      Around you my arms I fling, a-fling, a-flingio!
Prodigio      But my father, I am no longer wor…
Paterno       Oh, my son, you live, return, and bring me joy,                     
                     Such joy! Such lightness of heart
                     And abandon of glee.

(Enter many Villagers, with pipes and dancing trousers)

Prodigio      (reprise) I hunger!
Paterno       I slaughter the calf in your honour;
                     You were dead but now you live!
                     Yea, I was in a spin withal
                     But now the calf spins substitutional.
                     We lost you when this farming life you quit
                     Now the fat calf spins roastingly upon a spit.
Prodigio      I was lost, lost, so lost!
Paterno       You are found, discovered, unearthed!
Prodigio      I was dead to you!
Paterno       Yet now you live ! You li-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ve !
                     You are alive ! You live, live, live, live, live!
                     But the calf
                     O most decidedly, most deliciously, does not!
Prodigio      I live!

(finis)



No comments:

Post a Comment