Monday 1 August 2011

Pseudo-Shakespeare

 Dramatis Personae:
                  Old Man       a farmer of considerable wealth
                   Reckless       his son; of reckless wantonness
      Mistress Rapido       a bartender of disputable morals
            Three Cooks       wizened crones of dubious cleanliness

Scene One: Without the Farm
Enter Old Man and Reckless, with trumpets and ledgers
Old Man:  Five score groats hath now o’er filled this agéd
                          casket marked wi’ my monogram
                   And silver-fleckéd years of joyous thoughts.
                   My name writ firm in crops and creatures
                          both far and yon and thus and such.
Reckless:  Fie on’t! Gist mine share, thou pock-faced loon!
Old Man:  ‘Tis pity; ‘tis; ‘tis true; ah me.
                   (aside) The cankered, thumb-biting, chiding chops           
                            of one’s loin-spring was ever so;
                    Yet thusly will I convert all sounds of woe
                    To hey nonny nonny.
                    (to Reckless) My son, neither a borrower nor…
Reckless:    (aside) Yea, angels and ministers of grace
                    Spare me from this pigeon-liver’d
                             rambling witless buffoonery!
Old Man:   Fare thee well, splenative lad o’mine!
                    Thou seemest not smiling on my kidney;
                             yet heart’s sweet sorrow.
Reckless:    I go. (exit)

Scene Two: Boar’s head tavern, with cups
Enter Reckless and Mistress Rapido
Reckless:    Another goblet of thy most excellent mead
                    With all haste, prithee! Mine tongue swelleth 
                             most comfortlessly beyond double
                    And in a trice rasps thrice sandpaperingly
                    Upon my lips and palate;
                    Forsooth this thirst must of force be quenched and       
                             quelled and soothed and smoothed.
Rapido:       I wouldst thine fair request obey right soon
                    But thy drawstrung velvet dubloon bag hath
                    Dwindled most grossly. It afears me that 
                              thy mettle is most assuredly run dry
                    And spent paperwork doth thy name offend.
                    Up-hard thou art. My nose I thumb;
                    This much denies thine slake-request.
Reckless:    Such as this low-life hag would refuse e’en me?
Rapido:       Get thee hence!
Reckless:    I shall seek justice and mercy in yon house 
                              of less iniquity (exits)
Rapido:       Ha! May fortune smile upon thy request
                              where e’re thou maketh it,
                    For demand and table-rap alone lack strength   
                              when backed not up by jangling token.
                    Now is a winter of discontent and growling guts 
                              about to break upon these shores
                    All will grossly starve perchance lest they 
                              find themselves, right quick, hoggish chores.

Scene Three: A street, with pigs
Enter Reckless
Reckless:   Oh woe is me, for all mine adversaries hath
                    Gathered about and grimace withal,
                    Struck me thrice upon mine heart and soul,
                    And tainted me with pangs and pains.
                    Thou grunting, snorting chops!
                    How now, thou sow?
                    Forswear unto me thine podlike picnic…
                    Yet still I am an man,
                    Can’st mind’s eye bear to depict
                    Mine teeth o’erflowed with distasteful swill?
                    Marry, here’s the rub; rude hiréd strangers
                    Take sparkling cup and happily baked meats
                    In thoughtless supper tomorrow and tomorrow
                    Where parental provision plates their portion;
                    Enow! To bow’s the how, I know,
                    Wherein I’ll catch the conscience of my father;
                    I’ll to his hallowed portals withinward go
                    To serve him there with doff and scrape
                    And forelock’s tug, and yessir and amen –
                    Perchance to gain a meagre coinly recompense
                    As hired man of no familiarity nor name.
                    Here’s rosemary, pansies and wither’d violets
                    For thoughts, remembr’nce and
                    Destroy’d faithfuness: his son no more,
                    But yet within his walls and heart? (exits)

Scene Four: A road, with trees
Enter Reckless
Reckless:   Fourscore mile have I trod to return to home.
                   (aside, as Old Man enters) How now,
                    Here cometh thus my paternal parent;
                    I’ll plead mine unfretting case 
                            with smile and curtsey at his feet.
                    Watch how his fierce countenance
                            shalt mellow towards me!
                    (he doffs to Old Man) O maketh thou me 
                             an servant, for thy sake, I beg,
                    Since my worthiness hath thawed, melted and       
                             resolved itself into an dew…
Old Man:   (with tears) My son, should not I call thee
                    Pribbling folly-fallen canker-blossom
                    Or any such retribution? Nay…
                    And neither shall I e’re speak thusly 
                              of loin’s sweet issue,
                    But grasp thee to my hollow chest –
                    Tush thy mouth and hold thy whisht!
                    For I shall give thee this precious charm 
                             of purest gold for thy finger
                    And this tailor’d vestment
                             and these shoes t’enswift thine tread.
                    I shall slay choice meat – yea –
                             e’en upon the hoof
                    And revel until dawn’s first tender kiss 
                             upon the cloudless mantle of the sky.
                    For strong breath and spirit hath returned;
                    So much better than reportingly!

Scene Five: An Party
Enter Three Cooks, with cauldron
Cooks:         Now we three have met once more
                     To stew an celebrate-meal for
                     The farmer who hast lost and found
                     His son! Now let us stir around.
                     Leg of bat and partridge-throat
                     Eye of rat and spleen of goat –
Cook One:   Nay, sisters, this our feasting pot
                     Right toothsome is – for potions not!
Cooks:         Grain of wheat, both husk and chaff
                     Cream of chicken, flank of calf
                     Neck of lamb and rabbit spine
                     With flagon-fill’d of malmsey wine!
Enter Old Man, Reckless
Old Man     Ho! Everyone that thirsteth!
                     Gather ye hither, yon villagers, mine;
                     Rejoice greatly, one and all!
                     Ye minstrels, play tootlingly upon pipes!
                     We fain would have a ball.
                     My son held fast by death’s appalling glance
                     Now lives! Come, let us make a merry dance!
                     Strike up, pipers!
(They revel with trumpets, caper and much celebration)


No comments:

Post a Comment