Wednesday 10 August 2011

UK No 1 hit singles of the 1960s

Please don’t tease me, give me what’s due and I’ll be glad all over,’ said the younger of the two little Boys. ‘These boots are made for walkin’, right?’ he asked.
       
The father knew he’d have to let the heartaches begin. And one sunny afternoon, shakin’ all over, the father said ‘Go now; I can’t stop loving you. Baby, come back! We can work it out.’
      
So the bachelor boy took his cash and did something stupid, thinking he was king of the road. It’s not unusual (I heard it through the grapevine).
       
All or nothing: soon he had nothing. Hunger struck; ‘Sugar, sugar’ he cried.
      
He longed for the wonderful land his father tilled, and eventually had to surrender.
       
He was a whiter shade of pale as he set out on Blackberry Way, thinking he could walk right back to the green green grass of home.
       
He was walking back to happiness, having decided to get back. ‘Anyone who had a heart would accept me as a servant’, he thought.
       
But while he was still a long way off, his father shed tears.
       
Where do you go to, my lovely?’ he shouted as he ran up to his son. ‘Congratulations: I want to hold your hand,’ he said, but ended up hugging him.
       
It’s over,’ he whispered, as he gave him shoes, a coat and a ring.
       
He greeted his son, despatched the calf and confirmed the boy’s sonship: ‘Hallo, Goodbye. I got you babe.
       
The son confirmed ‘I’m alive!’

Please Don’t Tease Cliff Richard and the Shadows 1960 • Glad all over Dave Clark Five 64 • Two Little Boys Rolf Harris 69 • These Boots are Made for Walkin’ Nancy Sinatra 66 •
       
Let the heartaches begin Long John Baldry 67 • Sunny Afternoon · The Kinks 66 • Shakin’ all over Johnny Kidd and the Pirates 60 • Go Now Moody Blues 65 • I can’t stop loving you Ray Charles 62 • Baby come back Equals 68 • We can work it out Beatles 65
      
Bachelor boy Cliff Richard and the Shadows 63 • Something Stupid Nancy Sinatra 67 • King of the Road Roger Miller 65 • It’s not unusual Tom Jones 65 • I heard it through the grapevine Marvin Gaye 69
       
All or nothing Small faces 66 • Sugar Sugar Archies 69
       
Wonderful Land The Shadows 62 • Surrender Elvis Presley 61
       
Whiter Shade of Pale Procal Harum 67 • Blackberry Way Move 69 • Walk Right Back Everly Brothers 61 • Green, Green Grass of Home Tom Jones 66
       
Walkin’ Back to Happiness Helen Shapiro 61 • Get Back Beatles with Billy Preston 69 • Anyone who had a Heart Cilla Black 64
       
Tears Ken Dodd 65
       
Where do you go to My Lovely? Peter Sarstedt 69 • Congratulations Cliff Richard 68 • I want to Hold your Hand Beatles 63 • It’s Over Roy Orbison 64
       
Hallo, Goodbye Beatles 67 • I Got You, Babe Sonny & Cher 65
       
I’m Alive Hollies 65




No comments:

Post a Comment