Thursday 11 August 2011

UK No 1 hit singles of the 1970s


‘He’s asked me for everything I own,’ said the farmer. ‘He’s a sad sweet dreamer, but I said to him “I can’t give you anything except all kinds of everything”. I asked “When will I see you again?” but he had no answer. How can I be sure I will survive? Bye bye baby!
       
‘I was born under a wand’rin’ star, in the summertime,’ explained Vincent. ‘I don’t want to talk about it.’ Off he went with his cash, to spend some seasons in the sun down on Devil Gate Drive, near the Yellow River.
       
He thought the summer nights would last forever and ever, but the name of the game is night fever, and even though he was up town top ranking, this bohemian rhapsody ended.
       
He met a few friends: Grandad Ernie, Amazing Grace, Baby Jump and Billy Don’tbeahero, but oh boy, they left and the son was lonely this Christmas. He had to take one day at a time. He’d hoped to look after the combine harvester but tended pigs; he had a jealous mind for the pods. But all he had to eat was mouldy old dough. He decided to knock three times, but the pigs grunted in reply ‘I hear you knocking’.
       
The Spirit in the sky said ‘Hold me close, I’m always yours, love me for a reason and give a little love.’ He realised ‘You won’t find another fool like me: I’m the son of my father; I shall tell him “you’re the one that I want”.’
       
The father said to himself ‘I’m still waiting.’ He saw him when he was on his way back home and gave him a band of gold (free), said ‘Don’t go breaking my heart; welcome home; make me smile (no charge), coz I luv you! I thought it was a tragedy, but now he’s got bright eyes. Merry Xmas everybody!’

Everything I own Ken Boothe 1974 • Sad sweet Dreamer Sweet Sensation 74 • Can’t give you anything Stylistics 75 • All kinds of Everything Mary Hopkin 70 • When will I see you again? Three Degrees 74 • How can I be sure? David Cassidy 72 • I will survive Gloria Gaynor 79 • Bye Bye Baby Bay City Rollers 75
       
Wand’rin’ Star Lee Marvin 70 • In the Summertime Mungo Jerry 70 • Vincent Don McLean 72 • I don’t want to talk about it Rod Stewart 77 Seasons in the Sun Terry Jacks 74 • Devil Gate Drive Suzi Quatro 74 • Yellow River Christie 70
       
Summer Nights John Travolta & Olivia Newton John 78 • Forever & Ever Slik 76 • The Name of the Game Abba 77 • Night Fever Bee Gees 78 • Up Town Top Ranking Althia & Donna 78 • Bohemian Rhapsody Queen 75
       
Grandad Clive Dunn 71 • Ernie Benny Hill 71 • Amazing Grace The Pipes and Drums and Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards 72 • Baby Jump Mungo Jerry 71 • Billy Don’t be a Hero Paper Lace 74 • Oh boy Mud 75 • Lonely this Christmas Mud 74 One Day at a time Lena Martell 79 • Combine Harvester The Wurzels 76 • Jealous Mind Alvin Stardust 74 • Mouldy old Dough Lieutenant Pigeon 72 • Knock three times Dawn 71 • I hear you knocking Dave Edmunds 70
       
Spirit in the Sky Norman Greenbaum 70 • Hold me close David Essex 75 • Always Yours Gary Glitter 74 • Love me for a reason The Osmonds 74 • Give a little love Bay City Rollers 75
       
You won’t find another fool like me The New Seekers 74 • Son of my father Chicory Tip 72 • You’re the one that I want John Travolta & Olivia Newton John 78
       
I’m still waiting Diana Ross 71 • Back Home England World Cup Squad 70 • Band of gold Freda Payne 70 • Free Deniece Williams 77 • Don’t go Breaking my Heart Elton John & Kiki Dee 76 • Welcome home Peters and Lee 73 • Make me Smile Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel 75 • No Charge JJ Barrie 76 • Coz I luv you Slade 71 • Tragedy Bee Gees 79 • Bright Eyes Art Garfunkel 79 • Merry Xmas Everybody! Slade 73

No comments:

Post a Comment