Tuesday 16 August 2011

UK No 1 hit singles of the 1980s


Imagine if I was loaded with brass in pocket,’ thought the boy. ‘I should be so lucky!’ But his father said ‘I owe you nothing, but I shall give you everything I own. You win again! Don’t leave me this way… oh, and wake me up before you go go.’

‘Papa don’t preach!’
       
Father watched him go, saying ‘Nothing’s gonna change my love for you. You’ll be always on my mind. True. I’m never gonna give you up. That’s the power of love. Don’t you want me?
       
The father’s wealth was (after the final count) down to ner ner ner ner nineteen out of 30, as he gave him one third.
       
Off went the lad to a town called malice, to a house of fun, where there was mistletoe and wine; perfect, red, red wine and where the phrase ‘It’s a Sin’ caused a chain reaction with a woman, a jealous guy and desire. ‘What’ll I do with the cash?’ he thought; ‘use it up and wear it out!’
       
The place came under pressure as the food ran out, and the boy wondered ‘Is there something I should know?’ Hallo, I should have known better than to end up wanting pigfood. Like a prayer, he thought ‘I shall go home - it’ll be just like starting over’.
       
The Spirit in the Sky took him to the Edge of Heaven. There must be an angel at work.
       
He was on his way home, (when the going gets tough, the tough get going) thinking about his father ‘I’ll be working my way back to you by the power of love. I’ll ask to be a servant - since he might say “don’t stand so close to me!” but I suppose I there won’t be a little peace. I really am the Coward of the county. I know him so well!’
       
Take my breath away!’ cried the father, who saw the boy when he was still a long way off.
       
I knew you were waiting for me’ said the boy, untruthfully.
       
Move closer. Here’s a ring, especially for you, Frankie. Here’s a coat and some shoes (you’ll never walk alone) since I have a good heart and I’ve been saving. All my love for you - you got it! - only you! Let’s party! My son was dead, but now he’s back to life!’ And there was dancing in the street.

Imagine John Lennon 1981 • If I was Midge Ure 85 • Brass in Pocket The Pretenders 80 • I should be so lucky! Kylie Minogue 88 • I owe you nothing Bros 88 • Everything I Own Boy George 87 • You win again Bee Gees 87 • Don’t leave me this way The Communards 86 • Wake me up before you go go Wham! 84
       
Papa don’t preach Madonna 86
       
Nothing’s gonna change my love for you Glenn Madeiros 88 • Always on my mind Pet Shop Boys 87 • True Spandau Ballet 83 • Never gonna give you up Rick Astley 87 • The power of love Jennifer Rush 85 • Don’t you want me? Human League 81
       
The final count down Europe 86 • 19 Paul Hardcastle 85
       
A town called malice The Jam 82 • House of fun Madness 82 • Mistletoe and wine Cliff Richard 88 • Perfect S Express 88 • Red, red wine UB40 83 • It’s a Sin Pet Shop Boys 87 • Chain reaction Diana Ross 86 • Woman John Lennon 81 • Jealous guy Roxy Music 81 • Desire U2 82 • Use it up and wear it out Odyssey 80
       
Under pressure Queen & David Bowie 81 • Is there something I should know Duran Duran 83 • Hallo Lionel Richie 84 • I should have known better Jim Diamond 84 • Like a prayer Madonna 89 • Starting Over John Lennon 80
       
Spirit in the Sky Dr & the Medics 86 • Edge of Heaven Wham! 86 • There must be an angel Eurythmics 85
       
When the going gets tough, the tough get going Billy Ocean 86 • Working my way back to you Detroit Spinners 80 • The power of love Frankie Goes to Hollywood 84 • You win again Bee Gees 87 • Don’t stand so close to me The Police 80 • A little peace Nicole 82 • Coward of the county Kenny Rogers 80 • I know him so well Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson 85
       
Take my breath away Berlin 86
       
I knew you were waiting for me Aretha Franklin & George Michael 87
       
Move Closer Phyllis Nelson 85 • Especially for you Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan 89 • Frankie Sister Sledge 85 • You’ll never walk alone Crowd 85 • A good heart Feargal Sharkey 85 • Saving all my love for you Whitney Houston 85 • You got it! The Right Stuff 89 • Only you The Flying Pickets 83 • Let’s party! Jive Bunny & the Mixmasters 89 • Back to life Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler 89 • Dancing in the street David Bowie & Mick Jagger 85


No comments:

Post a Comment